The wait is over! It seems that we have finally defrosted from winter and spring is just around the corner. You’re probably changing over your closets and getting those pedicures to prepare for your sandals because to be honest, who likes to wear closed-toed shoes? If you’re like the majority of us, you like to cater your look to the season. Whether it’s your nails, your hair, your make up, it’s always fun to change things up. Fashion trends change from season to season, year to year, and it can be hard to keep up! So what is in for Spring/Summer 2015? Let’s explore everything you should know for your hair, make-up and nails!
Hair is something people tend to struggle with day in and day out. You style it the way you like it in the morning, but by lunch hour it’s already coming undone. Good news! A hair trend for Spring/Summer is exactly that. “Coming Un-done” styles are in! Wispy strands around the face, teasing that isn’t perfect, low messy ponies;
If you aren’t a great at-home stylist you’re in your prime!
Braids are making a come-back as well, and the trend is to have them look “lived in”. Whether it’s a French braid or a fish-tail, after constructing pull it apart so it’s not tight. Maybe leave a few pieces out around the face or pull it to the side. These are all good for day time wear and night time, but if you want to dress them up, there are a few things you can do. You can try taking a deep side part and pulling it all to the side. Take what is left of the ends outside of the braid and straighten them to look sleek and smooth. For the pony tail you can do low-mid height, leaving the overall look sleek and tucked in, but then adding a little wave or curl to the pony tail itself just to make it flirty and fun! Lastly, for those who hair isn’t long enough for these long braids and ponies, or who just like to always have your hair down, your trend is “air-dried texture”. If you have a natural curl or a beautiful natural wave, put the blow-dryer down, add a little product and go! If you have a hard time getting that perfect, natural look, style your hair completely, then only spray the ends with some water and allow to dry. It will add just a little natural texture, without it looking like you just woke up! If you want natural, beach-y waves, add some product to your hair and split your hair in to two sections. Twist them towards the back and pin. Once dry, release your twists and your hair will fall into a gorgeous, Cali-wave.
Now that your hair is done, you must do your make-up. Some people may not wear much and that’s just fine, while others may have so much they don’t know what to do with it! If you’re one to just dress up your eyes, you must have a “perfect plum” eye-shadow. If a plum is a little too dark for you, try a lighter shade, but purples are definitely in! “Inky-Black eyes” are another way to be trendy without doing the rest of your face. The blackest-black eyeliner is in, and you can add that to your perfect plum shadow, or just wear it alone. A day time look would be the cat-eye that is clean and chic. Of course you would have to spend time mastering that because I think we can all agree it’s the hardest thing to do. At night, you could tightly line all around the eye. You could also leave your face all natural, and do a thick eye-lid liner only. You may just want to line the outer corners of your eyes to make them appear more open. If you’re brave, or like to add a pop of color to your natural look, or only need to coat your lips to feel complete, bold red lips are in! Take some time at a make-up counter and try them all! Once you find one that you love, you won’t be able to live without it. If bold-red is a little too flashy for you, try an orange-red. It’s softer, yet adds the right color to brighten everything up!
Lastly, before you run out the door whether to work or a night out with friends, you want to add a splash of color to your nails. For this spring/summer, it’s either all or nothing! Wear that perfect plum on your nails, or that bold-red. Either one, you’re fashionable! If you are a more subtle person, or if it’s just what looks best against your skin tone, baby-soft polish is in. The palest pink or a chic nude all over the nail is perfect! You could even put a pink over a nude or vice-versa to create your own neutral look. Are you one to always have a design? “Negative-Space Manicures” will be your trend! These designs allow partial view of the naked nail. Whether it’s just a stripe of color on one side, or half moons filled in on the bottom, these abstract designs allow for your natural beauty to shine through while creating a chic look.
A lot to take in right? Maybe you are already up to date on all of the style trends for Spring/Summer 2015, maybe you have found some new looks and styles you want to try out. Just remember that no matter what you decide to stick with, add on or throw away, true beauty is found within and that is a trend that will never go out of style.
Do you have the winter blues? It’s safe to say that at some point between January and March the snow and cold get to you in some way or another. So now you’re thinking about how much you dislike this time of year, and you’re probably getting a little depressed. But answer this question; Are you getting a pedicure regularly? Have you even looked at your feet lately? You probably only know that they are tired and sore because of how they feel. Show them some love! It’s so important, even when they aren’t on public display and here’s why:
1. They’re in hibernation. During the cold winter months, your feet are tucked away in their safe place, your socks and shoes. They should be fine there right? WRONG. There’s been an intruder and its name is FUNGUS. All though your shoes and socks serve as a protector for your feet, they are also keeping in all of the warmth and moisture created through-out the day, every day. What do dark places and moisture create? That nasty stuff called fungus which turns your toenails yellow and can even cause an odor. Getting a pedicure allows your feet to breathe, receive proper treatment, and also helps soak away any unwanted friends attached to your feet.
2. They’re drying up! Even though we just talked about how shoes and socks constantly on your feet keeps too much moisture in, for some people it doesn’t allow enough. Ever wonder why you have dry/cracked heals? You’re standing, walking, beating them up all day, and if they’re not sweating they’re taking the blunt force and becoming calloused. Besides, just because they are covered does not mean that they are always warm, and the cold, dry air does damage to them too. By getting a pedicure, you’re allowing them to get the proper treatment they need. Filing the feet allows for any calloused skin to be removed, and the lotion and oil allows for the proper hydration.
3. Routine Maintenance. Not only when your feet are in sandals should you be clipping the nails, moisturizing and polishing them. Through-out the winter months the routine maintenance of your toes is crucial! If you keep up with them monthly, when it’s time for them to be out and about there won’t be the initial “OMG HELP THEY’RE AWFUL” appointment. During a pedicure, your technician will cut the nails, push and cut back the cuticle, file and polish the toes. Of course the polish is optional, especially at this time of year. Your feet need this!
4. Stress Relief and Relaxation. So of course all of the previous are very important and are the main reasons as to why you should be getting a pedicure year round.
However, besides the health of your feet, pedicures promote the health of your mind.
You get to sit down for an hour, not around the hustle and bustle of your normal every day. Your feet sink in the warm water, the bubbles tickle your feet, they are getting the treatment they need and you are getting the relaxation you DESERVE. Before polishing, your lower legs and feet are massaged with a scrub of your choice, and then rubbed with either an oil or cream. Who could say no to that? And again, polish is optional, especially when they won’t be out for all to see during the cold weather. Pedicure does not mean polish, it simply means professional care for the feet and toenails.
Now that you know the perks of having a pedicure, are you going to put that on your to-do list? The benefits are worth every penny, and your feet will thank you, especially when the warm weather comes. There IS warmer weather coming right? We sure hope so!
So winter is here, and there is no denying that. Maybe you are one to love the cold and the snow, maybe you are one who loves the heat and humidity. These seasons are on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum, but would you believe that those two types of people actually have something in common?
Dry hair and skin are conditions that we just cannot avoid during the cold, winter months.
Aside from the snow and occasional rain showers, the only moisture in the air is the steam from the shower (even that isn’t good for you). With that being said, we have compiled a list of 10 home remedies for dry hair and skin for you to follow, in case you are one of the many who suffer from this. The best part?
Everything on this list are products that you already have at home, and some even call for a little relaxation!
1. An Oil wrap. The best to use is coconut oil, but you could also use sesame or olive oil. Simply rub it in your hands and disperse the product throughout your hair and scalp. You can leave it on for a small amount of time, or you can leave it on all night. It just depends on the results you want and how dry your hair is.
2. Cold water. Yes, especially in the winter time the steaming hot shower feels awesome, but it also dries out your already dry skin. Try taking a cooler shower, or taking a hot shower but for less time. If you have a more localized dry skin issue, you can use ice packs for immediate relief.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar. This will work by 2 different applications. The first is simply putting some of the apple cider vinegar in a bowl and using a cotton ball to apply it to the scalp. Rinse after 5-10 minutes. You can also dilute the mixture by adding equal parts of the vinegar and water, and applying it all over the hair after shampooing.
4. Baking Soda Bath. Add one cup of baking soda to a warm bath and soak for 30-60 minutes. Afterwards, pat to dry off, or air dry. Another benefit other than moisturizing your skin? It gives you a reason to relax for a little bit!
5. Milk. As you were told when you were growing up, Milk does the body good. It is full of proteins, vitamins, minerals and fats which are good for strengthening cells, especially hair cells. Mix 1/4 cup of powdered milk with some water to create a paste. Apply and massage the paste throughout the hair and scalp, cover your hair with a warm, damp towel and after some time simply rinse!
6. Oatmeal. Combine oatmeal with water and create a paste to spread on to your skin. If it is a specific spot that is irritated, you can simply apply the spread to that area. If you are itchy and dry over all, add the oatmeal to a lukewarm bath and soak. Remember to avoid using too hot water, as it will not allow the oatmeal to work, and possibly cause more irritation.
7. A filtered Faucet. The water that comes through your sinks and shower heads is full of chlorine, which dries out your hair. Ever step out of the shower and feel as though you didn’t even put conditioner in it? Hard water does more harm to the hair, leaving it dry and difficult to comb out. Put a filter on your shower head, or whatever water source you use to wash your hair, and it will stop the minerals from coming through and drying it out. This also applies to your skin!
8. Water. Be sure that you are drinking enough water. The average 100 pound person should be drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Take that and figure out how much YOU should be drinking a day. Are you drinking enough? When your body is properly hydrated, your skin will be. This will reduce dry, itchy skin, as well as break outs!
9. Banana. Would you think? It is a beautifying fruit because it is rich in vitamins, antioxidants and potassium. Simply mash however many bananas you desire to create a paste, even add an oil to it to add extra moisture and spread it over your hair and scalp. Leave it on for 15 minutes at least and rinse with warm water.
10. Herbs. You can use herbs such as peppermint, thyme and basil to relieve your dry, itchy skin. Simply boil the herbs in water, strain, and dip a wash cloth in the tea. Spread over the skin for relief and healing.
Have you tried any of these? Do they work for you? Hopefully if you haven’t already given them a shot that you do! We would love to hear feedback on what worked and what didn’t. If you have any remedies yourself that help with dry hair and skin, please share your secret! Although this time of year is harsh on most, we can break out of its wrath by staying moisturized from head to toe, and having strong, healthy, shiny hair.
Want to know what’s Trind-ing in nail care? For over 25 years, Trind has been specializing and becoming the expert in natural hand and nail health. Trind offers a variety of products, all best to be used with each other, which help to heal and keep the natural nail hydrated and healthy. Below are all of the nail issues Trind helps to reduce, along with their equivalent products.
Have dry cuticles? A product that keeps them supple and from dehydrating such as the Trind Cuticle Balsam would be a perfect choice for you! This product is water based, and will not affect your manicure. It helps to lock in the moisture within the cuticle and the skin around it.
What about Dry Nails? They tend to be a yellow-ish color, and tend to be brittle and fragile. A product such as Trind Keratin Nail Restorer would be perfect for this problem, being that it is a moisturizing nail strengthener which you can use as often as you would like!
It’s often difficult to determine whether your nails are dry or if they are weak.
Weak nails actually fold, split and crack instead of just pealing. To fix this problem, Trind Nail Repair is your best bet! They even come in different colors, perfect to use as a polish so that while you are in the repairing process you don’t have to show your natural nail.
Have trouble with slow growing nails? This is probably because you suffer from overgrown cuticles. Your best bet is to remove the cuticles, which you can do by using Trind’s Cuticle Remover. This is just a mild fluid that softens the cuticle which allows you to easily push the cuticles back and dissolve away. You will visibly notice a difference instantly in the look of your nail, and over time your nails will grow faster!
All of these nail problems and then some are often caused by nail biting. No matter the age, the gender, people will always bite their nails. It could be because of nerves, or just a plain dirty habit that we are all guilty of at some point in our lives. So you think that since it is a habit that there is no stopping it? Trind Anti-Bite solution is perfect for this! It has a bitter taste, only when being bitten. After a few times of tasting it you will be sure to stop biting and in turn your nails and cuticles will be healthier!
Trind is an excellent nail and hand care line. If you are suffering from any of the above issues, Trind has something for you! It is available in the salon, and of course if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask your nail technician!
Ever go for a pedicure and wonder if your nail tech can smell your feet? Now we are getting personal! As colder weather arrives, your toes go back in to socks and closed shoes. Add a little sweat and here we have the ingredients for a classic case of foot odor. But really, what can we do for that? Does anything really work? What is causing the odor in the first place? Step in for a stinky ride and let’s jump in to this embarrassing topic feet first!
When your feet are in socks, inside shoes, stuffed up, they can’t breathe! It is like they are in a sauna, and when moisture gets trapped and has the inability to dry properly, bacteria forms. What are bacteria?
Bacteria are microorganisms too small for the naked eye to see.
They aren’t friendly little guys either, which is why they make your feet smell bad when/if they form inside your socks or on your skin. If not taken care of, they can cause disease. So what can you do about this? Sure, you’ve washed them, scrubbed them, maybe even used a special kind of soap, multiple times a day. This seems like the answer but just because you wash them does not mean that the bacteria is gone. When you put your feet in your shoes the next day, the odor comes back. To put your mind to rest, we have 4 tips to reduce and prevent foot odor.
1. If you wear closed-toed shoes, pick a pair of socks that are made of wicking material. Cotton socks trap moisture.
2. Don’t ever wear the same pair of footwear two days in a row. If your feet sweat, not only are your socks filled with moisture but your shoes are too, and they need a day at least to dry out.
3. Use deodorant! Your feet when in shoes is a dark, moist place. So like other areas of the body where you may use it, don’t forget to include your feet! You can even spray your insoles with deodorant.
4. Washing them does help, but make sure your feet are completely dry before putting them into any closed item. This is especially affective for people who tend to shower in the morning.
If you follow those 4 steps and you find that it is still a potent problem, or if you find yourself excessively sweating and not just on your feet, you should visit a doctor. There is a condition for people who produce an overabundance of sweat called hyperhidrosis, and it is treatable.
Lastly, do not be afraid to talk to your nail tech about this!
We know what you’re thinking. 3 ways to Unwash your hair? Why would you want to do that? There is a new method to hair-care madness and it’s not what you may expect to hear. Say adieu to your shampoo, and become part of the “co-wash” movement! What is this you may ask? It’s a method of cleansing your hair by substituting your shampoo with conditioner! For example, you would shampoo your hair on day 1, then days 2-6, wet it but only use conditioner, then style your hair as normal. Once you feel that your hair has an overabundance of product build-up, or seems to be too oily, you would start over again with shampoo. What this does is minimize the days you vigorously cleanse your hair with detergents, which aids in the stripping of your color and natural oils. Using this method, you will find that your hair has more shine, volume, vibrancy and smoothness. You can do this at home with your own products, however there is a fresh line of only 3 products which will effectively bring the “co-wash” movement to life!
Unwash is the new line of cleansing conditioners which use “emulsifiers in place of detergents to lift off oils and dirt without stripping”.
These 3 new products are:
The Bio-Cleansing Conditioner replaces shampoo! It is unique due to its lack of detergents, replaced with emulsifiers to cleanse the hair. This is a product that you would use daily, similar to shampoo but yet so different! Its unique formula attracts and removes dirt and surface build-up without stripping the hair of its healthy, natural oils. Its perks? The hair is left clean, soft, more manageable, free of frizz and full of bounce, body and natural vibrant beauty.
The Anti-Residue Rinse was designed to safely eliminate styling build-up. A pH-balanced reset button for your hair, it lifts away the bad without stripping away natural oils and moisture to maintain balanced, healthier-looking, more beautiful hair. This product can be a substitute to the Bio-Cleansing Conditioner on days when you feel like you may need a more powerful cleanse.
Utilizing sea buckthorn, argan and coconut oils to infuse post-cleansed strands, the Hydrating Masque is the perfect finishing touch. This product safely guards your hair’s moisture balance and the naturally restorative oils and extracts replenish your hair’s vitality. Leaving the hair feeling softer, smoother and healthier with more body, beauty and shine, the Hydrating Masque is ideal to use after the Anti-Residue Rinse, or whenever you feel like your hair may need a deep condition.
So what do you think? Go against what you’ve always followed, break the rules, let your hair down and Unwash!
10 Facts About Your Nails
Here at Visions Hair and Nail Salon we take the health of your hair and nails seriously. Below are some facts that you may find interesting about your nails.
1. Nail problems make up about 10% of all dermatological conditions.
2. Fingernails grow faster than toenails – especially on your dominant hand. On average, fingernails grow 3.5mm per month and toenails grow 1.6mm per month.
3. Nail growth rates depend on age, time of year, activity level and heredity.
4. Women’s nails grow more slowly than men’s.
5. Nail growth is affected by disease, nutrition, medications, trauma, chronic illness, fever and aging process.
6. Changes in your nails, such as discoloration or thickening, can signal health problems such as liver and kidney diseases, heart and lung conditions, anemia and diabetes.
7. Although rare, melanomas can grow under the nail. They can be mistaken for an injury, so you should consult with your dermatologist if a dark or discolored spot appears and does not go away within a normal amount of time.
8. Nails grow more rapidly in the summer.
9. Fungal infections cause about half of all nail disorders. This is especially prominent in toenails, because they are confined to a dark, moist environment.
10. Symptoms that possibly signal nail problems include a change in color, shape, thickness, and swelling of the skin around the nails.
See our nail services HERE.
The hair oil is the new hair serum. So while it still adds that glossy, swishy shine, the new hair oil also adds protection and nourishment to the hair. And where serums typically just coated hair with silicone for that glassy gloss, oils add shine in a far more hair friendly way. Usually based on the essential fatty acid, vitamin E and anti-oxidant rich Argan, Amla for strengthening, Murumuru highly emollient properties for smooth skin and hair or Hybicus for nourishment and ultimate radiance.
If there is one hair product that we could declare as essential to every hair routine, regardless of your hair type, it would be hair oil. If you’re not using a hair oil, it’s time you start. Why? Hair oils replace essential moisture lost during shampooing and styling.
- They protect your hair from damage from heat tools, brushing, combing, and environmental elements.
- They treat dryness, damage, split ends, and frizz.
- They make your hair more manageable, less tangled, reduce static electricity, and restore shine.
A few drops of a great hair oil can change your hair in an instant, and over time help restore life to limp, over processed, dull, dry hair. I don’t go anywhere without hair oil.
Antioxidants found in many oils are essential to fighting free radicals and preventing damage in the hair. Some oils, such as Shea and Sesame Act s filters to protect the hair from ultraviolet rays.
While Moroccanoil, which launched back in 2009 with one hair oil is now the most searched for hair oil, new oils are being introduced to the market. Matrix Oil Wonders offers three different formulas for three different needs. Strength, Control and Vibrancy
The best hair oils are multitasking miracle products that can do the job of your leave-in conditioner, styling cream, frizz serum, and shine spray in one. They’re styling products more than they are treatment products.
When you’re using a hair oil to style your start applying it from ends to mid-length to avoid to much oil at the scalp area. It is important to start with a small amount until you know exactly how much your hair needs — you can always apply more. Once you get the hang of it — you’ll wonder how you ever lived without hair oil in the first place.